Saturday, July 24, 2010

My last day of 38....

All week long, I've been thinking about writing this post, thinking that on the last day of being 38, I would miraculously have some words of wisdom pop into my head.  Nothing so far this morning has materialized.  Oh well.  Maybe it will appear on the first day of me being 39, we shall see.

I had wanted to go for a longer run this morning, but my life and the weather have thwarted me, which is all good actually.  Hopefully I can get up before church tomorrow and get a good run in.  I would like that.  I didn't even try to get up this morning, Seth and I didn't get home from his high school reunion until after 1:00am, then we stayed up talking to my friend Stephanie, who had watched the girls, until almost 2.  I haven't seen 2:00, without in a sick child, in a really long time. We had such a fantastic time.  I knew one couple very well and had met a couple other people before.  Seth had such a wonderful time catching up with people and telling stories, I loved watching him.  I loved listening to the 80s music the DJs were playing, it was fun!  In fact, I'm importing the CD Purple Rain, so I can put some of the songs on my running playlist on my Ipod.  One of Seth's good friends is going to run the Baltimore Marathon for the 10th time this year.  He has done it every year, that impresses me! 

I did run 4 miles on Thursday morning, it was a good run.  The humidity was relatively low, considering what it has been, so it made it much easier.  My "official" training on my Nike sensor starts on Tuesday, I'm excited about it.  Although this week is basically what I did last week, it's a good place to start and like I said in my last post, I love having a plan! 

So looking back on 38, it's been a pretty good year.  Quick recap, Sarah went to preschool 5 days a week, I ran my first 5K; we found a church that we all really like; we had an incredible trip to Disney and Sarasota, my friends and did a weight loss competition and I lost 15 pounds; Emma started preschool 2 days a week in March, I started running again; I did another 5K; the girls were baptized; I signed up for the Baltimore 1/2 marathon; we had an amazing trip to the Outer Banks.  Those are just some of the highlights from being 38, of course there have been hard times and yucky days, but overall, it's been a great year.  As 39 approached, I started to feel a little blue, 29 was horrible but then 30 was great for me.  I feared a pattern was developing. 

But on the eve of my 39th birthday, I'm feeling pretty positive and actually  possibly the best place I've ever been in my life.  I have 2 beautiful, smart, and funny girls who I love more than anything.  I have a wonderful, loving husband, who is nothing but encouraging and supportive of me and loves me in all my crazy adventures.  I have an amazing family who also is incredibly supportive and loving!  I have great friends, who make me laugh and who listen (or read) to me and offer advice or just "like" what's going on.  I'm excited that we have found a church that feels like home to me, I didn't realize how much I had been missing it.  I have my health and I'm working with my body instead of against it, I sometimes worry that it is going to rear it's ugly head like it has in the past, but I'm trying to be smart and listen to it and go with it.  I'm probably in the best shape I have been in in years.  I just wish the scale would cooperate, most mornings it doesn't, I wish I could lose more weight, I'm working on it, but it's slow going.  A few weeks ago though I saw this quote that said "Overweight and active beats skinny and inactive any day."  I just have to remind myself of that (sometimes over and over).  I have this amazing challenge out a head of me and it seems so huge at times, but for the most part, I'm confident that I can do it!!  I am so grateful and overwhelmed by every one's support and encouragement.  Thank you!!  It all helps me to keep going on this incredible journey.  I'm so blessed and thankful!!

39 will be an amazing year, starting with my family reunion the first weekend of August, I'm so excited to see everyone in such a beautiful setting!!  Sarah starts kindergarten, Emma starts a new preschool, 3 mornings a week.  Seth and I will be married 6 years in October, the 1/2 Marathon is the day after our anniversary.  And that is just in the next few months and the things I can think of off the top of my head - who knows what the rest of the year will hold?  Life is good!!  39 is good!!  What will I think of 40?!?!

1 comment:

  1. yea! Happy Birthday!! It has been a good year for you. Keep on running!

    Alysia

    ReplyDelete