Monday, August 16, 2010

My little petunia....

Just in case you were wondering, my little petunias are continuing to thrive without any interference from me.  I don't water them, change their soil, bring them inside during crazy thunderstorms, nothing, I do nothing to these petunias except watch the grow and bloom.  The little plant on the left is one that I tried really hard to nurture.  Sarah brought it home as a seed in a cup of dirt.  I watered it and replanted it and put it in sunlight and it thrived for awhile.  I'm not sure if I over watered it or what, but it is now not doing so well, in fact I'm fairly certain we have reached a point of no return. 
And yet, my miracle petunias that just arrived in my planters are doing remarkably well.  Thank you, Uncle!!  They are a wonderful and constant reminder of you! 

Ok, on to other things.  My back is feeling a lot better.  I didn't even take any Aleve today!  YEAH!  It actually started feeling better on Saturday.   I was scheduled for a 7 mile run in my training program, I wasn't sure if I could do it, but I wanted to give it a try.  I started out with no expectations, I had hoped to make it to 5 miles so I started out walking to limber up and I went slow.  I was really listening to my body and watching for any signs of pain.  I didn't see or feel any.  So I kept going.  It was a wonderfully cool grey morning.  If it had been hot, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have made it as far as I did.  I went slow, but I did run a chunk of it and it felt ok.  I didn't want to push it but the weather was good, the music was good and I was feeling good too!  So I did make it to 7.18 miles, but it was pretty slow going. 

When I got home, I was afraid that maybe I had overdone it. But remarkably, my back actually felt better after.  It didn't bother me Saturday afternoon but I was worried about getting out of bed on Sunday morning. But I got up without any pain at all and the same this morning.  It is doing really well.  I think I got really overtired with the reunion and then with the Himes here and my body needed to tell me to rest some.  I'm so glad that I listened to it.  Tomorrow I'm scheduled for a 4 mile run, then on Thursday a 5 mile run and then on Saturday it's getting bumped up to an 8 mile run.  Yikes!!!  I would like to go back to Centennial Lake, I figure 8 miles is about 3 times around the lake.  I would like that. 

I got an email on Friday that the Baltimore 1/2 Marathon has sold out!!  That means that there will be 10,000 runners running it on Oct. 16th.  The full Marathon is 90% sold out, it's limit is 5,000 runners.  I'm not sure how many more will run in the 5K.  But it is going to be a big deal!!!  It really overwhelms me at times.  And I wonder what in the world I'm doing.  But then there are times when I know I'm doing exactly what I need to be doing!!!  As I'm running, I'll hear a song or see a cardinal or feel a hand on my back and I know, I just know that Uncle is with me, he is smiling and is thrilled that I'm on this journey.  He is thrilled that I am "defying gravity." 

Big things are happening around here. Only 2 more weeks until Sarah starts kindergarten!!!   Emma starts preschool 3 mornings a week after Labor Day!  I'm going to hit the gym while they are both at school :)  We have had a wonderful summer, we have done some pretty amazing things.  But I'm anxious to get back into a routine, Sarah is anxious about school, but wants to get back to it too.  I know she gets bored hanging out with me.  It has been so ridiculously hot this summer, I'm anxious for the cooler weather.  Of course we have to get in as much pool time as possible before they close. There is probably a fair going on around here somewhere, we need to hit that.  I don't want to spend the next two weeks wishing the summer away.  I want to enjoy it to it's fullest! 

1 comment: