Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First days.....

Just a quick update about my foot, it's not plantar faciitis.  It started feeling better with ice and Aleve on Monday night.  Tuesday morning when I got up, I was expecting that first step to feel awful but it was fine.  It felt ok until I was walking back from dropping Sarah off at school.  I figured I should call the doctor.  My appointment was at 4:30, Seth came home and watched the girls so I could go.  But by 4:30, it wasn't really bothering me at all, but I thought I should have it looked at anyway.  Long story short, he ordered an x-ray to rule out a stress fracture (I had it done this morning, no results back yet).  But he thinks that there is a tiny joint on the outside edge of my foot that is inflamed.  He said to ice it and keep taking the Aleve, but if it's not bothering me, he doesn't think I need to stop running. So that's good news!  If there is something wrong, then I will hear sooner, if it's all good, I will get a letter.  So we shall see.... I talked to my lovely cousin Jessica, who is a doctor and she said that the best thing ever. She said "You ran 10 miles, of course something is going to hurt!"  I loved that, put it into perspective! 

Today was Emma's first day of preschool!!  She was very excited!!  After we walked Sarah to school, we brought Em to school.  I'm not sure if it's because her new preschool is in our church or what, but I really didn't have a lot of angst about leaving her there.  I'm feeling a bit of Mommy guilt that I didn't feel worse about it.  But one of her best buddies is in her class so I was confident she would be ok.  And of course I was right, she had a fantastic first day.  Her teacher is so nice and I really like her a lot.  She can't wait to go back on Friday! 

After I dropped Emma off, I went to get my x-ray done.  I thought that since they don't take appointments, I would be sitting for a long time.  I did get up early this morning and ride 10 miles on the bike because I was worried I wouldn't get my exercise in because of the x-ray and I thought that was pretty low impact. But they got me right in.  After the x-ray I decided to hit the gym.  It would be my first day at the gym in a really long time!  I had to come home and pack up and get ready to go.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to spend a lot of time there but wanted to go give it a try!!  I tried one eliptical and didn't like it so I tried another one and then another one.   I wanted to do something low impact for my foot.  My Nike sensor didn't seem to be working so I kept trying different ones to see if it would work.  After quite a bit of trial and error, I realized that the sensor doesn't work on the eliptical, apparently you need to actually lift your foot up and hit the ground.  That seems to make a lot of sense now, but at the time, it was very frustrating. 


Even though I wasn't there very long and really didn't make the best use of my time while I was there, it was so great to be back in the gym, I loved every minute of it.  I loved trying out the different machines.  I can't wait to go back on Friday morning so I can try out some of the weights.  My foot did start bothering me a bit so after I picked Em up I did ice it and take some Aleve.  But it was nothing like the pain I felt on Monday.  I'm anxious to see if they find anything on the x-ray.  I am scheduled for a 6 mile run tomorrow, I'm pretty anxious about that too.  I'm hoping that my foot holds up, I'm supposed to run 10 miles again on Saturday. Good thoughts and a prayer or two would be just lovely!   Thanks!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment